Re: tlug: various stuff

On Sat, 10 Jan 1998, Craig Oda wrote:
[snip]
> Well, as the story goes, I now have non-functional JDK1.1.3
> and JDK1.1.5 versions.  Both don't work now.  :-(

ざんねんね。。。

> Should I move to RedHat 5.0?  Many people are using RedHat now
> and I was thinking that it might be time to give it a try again.
> My Debian system is split over three physical disks and about
> 9 partitions.  Might be time for a clean sweep.  I need a
> tape backup system.   If I fiddle around enough with Debian,
> I can probably get most of the things I want to work, but
> I'm not sure when hamm is going into stable release and how
> much fiddling is involved before the release.  If Red Hat 5.0
> is stable with the glibc6, it might be worth it to backup
> my main data directories and go for the big reformat and clean
> install....   <rush of blood through the veins>

Well, it's a release, but not without caveats. However, they've
been pretty good about addressing problems and making fixes for
them quickly. Some things require workarounds to compile (suck
just won't do it at all right now...). My original plan was to
use it until Debian 2 came out, but that looks rather distant
at the moment. But now I've got it running fairly smoothly.
I've make a point not to use any system-level stuff from the
"contrib" files anymore, and that may be helping a lot. :-)
Whenever possible I try to get the source rpm and rebuild it
for installations.

The PJE files (and a little from the JRPM set) have me quite
happy with the Japanese support. Xemacs 20.3 compiles just fine
and dandy, and once Gnus gets the IMAP tweaked up, it'll be a
change from Pine.

The install is still a bit loopy, and it looks best to have it
install everything and then prune out what you don't need. I
did the initial install trying to pick and choose, and it seems
that some libs got left out here and there. Hard to tell.

I gave up on the sound stuff and bought OSS. Much nicer than the
kernel-based arrangements and midi stuff works a lot easier than
before. $30 worth spending, IMO...

Overall, I think it's a pretty solid package, once you get the
updates installed. There's a lot of whining on the net news about
things being broken, buggy and all, but that seems mostly to come
from the folks who just tried Linux for the first time. I'm pretty
happy and don't feel a need to move over to Debian on my main box.

> Linux Journal

Just out of curiosity, you mentioned awhile back that TLUG members
could get discounts from LJ and maybe some vendors. How do we go
about taking advantage of such discounts?

BTW, thanks to Craig for all his hard work, and also to all the
members out there who've gone out of their ways to spread around
some very helpful information. It's been invaluable to someone
like me who's not a CS or EE major!

Looking forward to another great year...

David
Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki  Hachinohe-shi  Aomori-ken  031

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.