tlug: Re: Ghostscript and HP Deskjets

    JB> Cool!  I'm interested in this!  I know Ghostscript went in
    JB> with my installation (I basically had it install the kitchen
    JB> sink), so it's out there somewhere.  I'm pretty green on UNIX,
    JB> so if you could tell me what I need to do and how I need to do
    JB> it to set up Ghostscript, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Start with `which gs' to find Ghostscript, then `gs --help 2>&1 | less'
to find out what's configured in to your Ghostscript (I build my own,
with a configure script tuned to my facilities, so I don't know what's
in your package).

Then find the docs (probably in /usr/doc/gs{,-version}) and read
"new-user.txt" and then "use.txt".  I think "devices.txt" contains the
info you need on setting up the drivers for your printer.  As Blaine
advised in <34B345B0.D890DCD@example.com>, you can usually
assume backward compatibility.

Oops, I probably lied.  My GS 4.03 does not include the "uniprint"
driver.  So you need at least the 5.0x release of Ghostscript, and
probably have to build it yourself.  There is a HP850 driver
available.  (Unfortunately, drivers are not loadable on the fly at
present; you'll have to FTP that driver and build Ghostscript with
it.)  Here's what GS 5.06's version of devices.txt has to say (in
part) about "uniprint" and HP printers.

<quote>
A few notes on the state of this driver
=======================================

The coding of uniprint was triggered by the requirements of the various
Stylus Color models and some personal needs for HP- and NEC-Drivers. Thus
the Epson-Models are well represented among the distributed Parameter-Files.
When this driver entered the beta testphase, three other drivers appreared on
the scene, that could/should at least partially integrated into uniprint:

    cdj850 by Uli Wortmann       (available via ftp://bonk.ethz.ch)
    hpdj      by Martin Lottermoser
    bjc610    by Helmut Riegler

Uli addresses features of the more recent Deskjet-Models, that will not be
available in uniprint soon. Martin taught me a lesson on HP-PCL3-Headers,
that will be available in uniprint soon. Helmut in turn followed an almost
similar idea, but targetted primarily for printing on Canon-Printers from
the pbmplus-Library. Starting with Version 1.68 of uniprint, the bjc-support
is available. The work on the hpdj-Integration will start after the update of
my website.
</quote>

    JB> So will Ghostscript let me do all the cool stuff like printing
    JB> in economy, normal, or best quality modes, change my paper

Use the `-r' option to control resolution.  I don't know how this is
handled from RedHat's printer control panel.  Almost all drivers
support that option.  If you are worried about draft vs. best issues,
I strongly recommend you check out the different drivers in detail; I
know that some of the drivers are better optimized than others but I
don't know which ones.  You may be better off using a HP-600 driver
for draft and the unified driver for presentation, for all I know.

    JB> size on a per printout basis without editing the printer setup
    JB> in Linux, etc., etc,?

If you mean you have a multiple-tray printer, I don't know.  If you
simply mean printing in various sizes on whatever paper you happen to
have loaded, yes.  That's a function of the Postscript language.

    JB> I've got plenty of memory and can always get more, so that's
    JB> no problem. I'm interested in something that works well and
    JB> doesn't give me a lot of grief (UNIX systems often seem to be
    JB> designed to make everything as difficult as possible :-) )
    JB> while doing so.

I'm shocked that you could think it's designed to be difficult.  :-)
It's designed to be flexible and powerful, and to work while you play,
not work while you wait.  You pay a price for that.

For the forseeable future, you're going to have to read the app's docs
on Unix systems.  Configuration is generally not going to be trivial.
But once you get the knack of configuration, you'll find you can
configure your way around most of the obnoxious repetitive tasks that
keep "office automation" classes well-populated.  And then forget
them.

    >> The "unified color driver" for Ghostscript does a pretty good
    >> job.

    JB> Perfect!  How do I set it up?

This is probably all accesible from RedHat's control panel.  Don't ask
me, I'm a command line, `vi /etc/app.conf' geek :-)  But basically you
just need to set an environment variable.  Or you can edit the various
scripts in /usr/bin/gs*.

    JB> Are some of the low cost Postscript printers (I remember
    JB> seeing TI ones that were pretty cheap) any good?  I don't
    JB> really want a laser, in so far as I place a lot of value on
    JB> color and a color Postscript printer *really* is beyond my
    JB> means :-)

My primary hardcopy device is a TI microLaser of 1991 vintage.  I have
trouble getting supplies in Japan, but other than that it's given me
years of trouble free service, except for a ROM bug which they
replaced the mother board by FedEx and threw in a free memory upgrade.
The Postscript implementation was real Adobe (but only level one so
these days I drive the HP emulation via Ghostscript).  Still the
fastest printer I own, too, although the Esper gives double the
resolution.  I like TI.  Don't know about their non-laser products
though.

HTH.

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: