Re: tlug: Re: Ghostscript and HP Deskjets

In message <199801071641.BAA18182@example.com> you wrote:
> > Short answer:  install Ghostscript, and say "Postscript" to that
> > question.  Add one of the printer filter packages, and it's as
> > transparent as Windows.  Configuration is not as easy as for Windows,
> > but once it's done, it's transparent.
>
> Cool!  I'm interested in this!  I know Ghostscript went in with my
> installation (I basically had it install the kitchen sink), so it's out
> there somewhere.  I'm pretty green on UNIX, so if you could tell me what I
> need to do and how I need to do it to set up Ghostscript, I'd certainly
> appreciate it.

At home I use ghostscript with a Epson MJ-800C. I'm not 100% sure, but
from what I can remember, here's what I did:

1) create an entry in /etc/printcap

       #--------------------------------------
       lp|mj|mjc800:\
               :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
               :mx#0:\
               :lp=/dev/lp0:\
               :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/gdevmjc:\
               :sh:
       #--------------------------------------

	where lp is the default printer, mj and mjc800 are aliases
	      sd is the spool directory
	      mx#0 sets the maximum printable file size to zero (no limit)
	      lp is the output device
              if is the input filter
              sh supresses the banner page

2) create the file gdevmjc in /var/spool/lpd/lp

	#!/bin/sh
	gs -sDEVICE=mjc720 -q -NOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- -

	where gs invokes ghostscript
	      -sDEVICE=mjc720 tells it to use the Epson MJ driver (you will
               have to change this for your printer)

3) tell your applications to print to lp as Postscript

---
Alberto Tomita, Jr.            http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto
Yokohama National University       e-mail: alberto@example.com
Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.