Re: tlug: PPP thanks

Michael,

I didn't think to ask you, but are you using RedHat?  If you are, when
you loaded there was a window which said, "Do you wish to setup your
network?" and "This is not for dialup networking..."  Also, if you try
to use the Control-panel you'll end up pulling out your hair.  If this
was a new setup then you need to make sure you did three things:

1) define the serial ports to be used for your modem, i.e. your
/etc/rc.d/rc.serial file should have some entries which read setserial
-b /dev/cua0 irq 4...etc.

2) write the chap-secret and pap-secret files as follows:

yourloginid@example.com * "password" *

It is very important that you keep the quotation marks around your
password.

Your pap-secrets file should read the same.

Also, you can copy the file below into any text editor and save it as
what you would like to call it.
-------------------------------------------Begin Perl Script
#!/usr/bin/perl

$DOMAIN="yourdomainaddress";
$SEARCH=$DOMAIN;
$NAMESERVER1="yourdnsaddress1";
$NAMESERVER2="yourdnsaddress2"; #You can enter more DNS's but two should
do it
$NAME="yourloginid\@example.com"; #Important enter the whole thing
with the '\@' symbols.
$PHONE="yourisptelephonenumber";
$MODEM="/dev/modem"; #You can set this one up by using the modem
control-panel

$resolv = '>/etc/resolv.conf';

open(CONF,$resolv) || die "Cannot open file:  $resolv.\n $! \n";

print CONF "\#resolv.conf - created by ".$ARGV[0]."\n";
print CONF "domain ".$DOMAIN."\n";
print CONF "search ".$SEARCH."\n";
print CONF "nameserver ".$NAMESERVER1."\n";
print CONF "nameserver ".$NAMESERVER2."\n";

$command="/usr/sbin/pppd name \"".$NAME."\"".
	" -d connect \'/usr/sbin/chat -t 45 -v ABORT BUSY \"\" ATDT".
	$PHONE." CONNECT \"\"\' ".$MODEM.
	" 115200 noipdefault modem defaultroute crtscts";
$ENV{'PATH'} = '';
system($command);

-------------------------------------End Perl Script--------------------

I don't know how much you know about Perl, but this will do everything
you need.  Just fill in the information, and as long as you have set up
your PAP and CHAP, and your serial ports, you're good to go.

I just thought this would save you some time when/if you decide to try
it this weekend.

Have fun surfing,

Blaine

--