tlug: gcc bug in SlackWare 3.3

    David> I am a most unhappy camper.  When recompiling pine 3.96, I
    David> get: cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal
    David> signal 6

    David> on SlackWare 3.3 (kernel 2.0.30, gcc 2.7.2.2).  I've looked

Well, GCC is up to 2.7.2.3 _specifically_ to fix problems on Intel
platforms.  I don't know what the problems are though.

    David> For pine 3.96, I started with the source from SlackWare 3.3
    David> (which I am running on a newly-installed laptop, kernel
    David> 2.0.30), with and without the patches from SlackWare, and

What "patches from Slackware"?  To Pine?

    David> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 6

    David> Signal 6 is SIGABRT, so I presume that cc found an error
    David> and then killed itself (not vice versa), but I would have
    David> expected a better error message in that case (like from an

Huh?  If you get a stack trace, you can't complain.  Undoubtedly
Slackware ships stripped versions of GCC's binaries.  If you're hoping
for information about the mailindx.c file, I think you should ask for
the moon instead---you might get it.  This is one unhappy program
you're asking.

    David> assert(), including the source file and line number).  The
    David> cc1 core file stack trace is:

    David> (gdb) bt
    David> #0  0x40077f61 in __kill ()
    David> #1  0x4004407d in gsignal ()
    David> #2  0x806e900 in free ()
    David> #3  0x8071503 in free ()
    David> #4  0x807146c in free ()
    David> #5  0x8073033 in free ()
    David> #6  0x8071aec in free ()
    David> #7  0x8059b91 in free ()
    David> #8  0x8058ad8 in free ()
    David> #9  0x8049fcc in free ()
    David> #10 0x80637a2 in free ()
    David> #11 0x8065cf2 in free ()
    David> #12 0x8048f5e in free ()
    David> (gdb)

Looks like infinite recursion in your free store `free' routine.  What
libc are you using?

GCC may be using its own malloc.  Slackware may have decided to use
the Doug Lea malloc which is much faster but not as well-tested as GNU
malloc.  Try installing a different distribution's GCC (Debian or
RedHat) or download binaries from a Sunsite mirror.

    David> The mailindx.c file has 4350 lines, so I haven't tried
    David> using brute force to isolate the trigger.

Look for a big regular expression.
TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: