RE: tlug: midi_autostart?

On 05-Nov-97 Yong-Ming Hua wrote:
>    Hi all,
>
>    I got a problem. I want to autostart a song from a homepage.
>My HTML is as follows.

><P ALIGN="CENTER"><embed src="song1.mid" height=55 width=135
> autostart=true loop=true></embed></P>
>
>But this doesn't work. When I put some *.wav file into "xxxx"
>things get all right to my sheer surprise. *.wav starts without
>any problem.

Netscape doesn't follow strict HTML guidelines with this kind
of extension, so one thing is that you need to delete "</embed>"
to clean it up.

Start with basics and work your way up:

<embed src="song1.mid">

For a complete list of things you can embed, go to the Netscape
page that will show you how to set them up:

http://home.netscape.com/comprod/products/navigator/version_3.0/multimedia/audio
/how.html

>Also when I put *.wav file, the place in the homepage where the
>song is embeded shows a nice audio icon, whereas *.mid doesn't.
>It shows only a rectangular frame and doesn't start until I
>double-click on it.

Change the height to 74 and width to 144 (defaults).

>I added "audio/x-midi    mid" into mime.type file in NCSA server
>directory's conf/. But still it doesn't work. Netscape Navigator
>Document Information doesn't recognize it and says it is a
>text/plain. When I download some mide files from other sites,
>they start automatically and also information says it is a
>audio/x-midi.

I haven't added anything to my mime.types; it just has the normal
"audio/midi      mid midi kar" entry, and it works fine with apache.

HTH...

David

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: