tlug: Re: video capture

On Wed, Oct 29, 1997 at 12:14:49PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> By the way, I'm in the market for video camera.  My wife, I was a bit
> surprised to find, is all in favor of getting the most advanced
> features (trading off for smaller screen size, heavier, etc where
> possible).  So I can go out and get myself one with digital video out.
> Does anyone know anything about this?  Uvator, Panasonic, and Sony all
> sell their own VC boards to interface.  Is there a standard for that
> interface and the data format?  Do the majors pay attention to it?

I am a big fan of Firewire (aka IEEE-1394) for this application...
all of the big boys have DV cameras that speak it.  Adaptec and TI
produce host adapters (and next generation Intel motherboards will
include it).  Miro is one of the companies that sells a host adapter
bundled with some software.  But no, I've not seen any Linux support
for any of the host adapters.

http://www.1394ta.org/

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  http://www.qsl.net/~7j1ajh/

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: