Re: tlug: Internet phone and video capture

    Dennis>   I picked up an older video capture card (Movie Wave
    Dennis> Studio, 1994) for Y3,000 (down from the original Y56,000)
    Dennis> the other day, but I get no display at all on my monitor
    Dennis> when I route my video card output through the capture

This is probably a driver issue.  Eg, it's usually not enough to just
hook the speakers to the sound card and the CD-ROM to the sound card.
Normally you also have to tell the sound card to direct the input from
the internal CD in to the speakers.  Do you have any kind of drivers
for the VC board?

By the way, I'm in the market for video camera.  My wife, I was a bit
surprised to find, is all in favor of getting the most advanced
features (trading off for smaller screen size, heavier, etc where
possible).  So I can go out and get myself one with digital video out.
Does anyone know anything about this?  Uvator, Panasonic, and Sony all
sell their own VC boards to interface.  Is there a standard for that
interface and the data format?  Do the majors pay attention to it?
Ie, can I mix & match different vendors with proper software?

I guess it would be too much to hope that the driver specs have been
released and I can expect Linux drivers....

    Dennis> I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who is doing
    Dennis> video capture of any kind under Lignux
                                            ~~~~~~
Sigh.  "GNU/Linux", s'il vous plait.  (That's pronounced "GNU over
Linux", not "GNU's Linux".)  I wish this would go away.  Credit where
credit is due, but now I've heard from two separate freeware
developers that Stallman has asked GNU people to stop working with
them, and it's not a resource issue of losing work on GNU, it's "I
don't like those people, they're getting in my way" it would seem.
(Ghostscript and XEmacs.)

"If you love software, set it free.  If it doesn't come back to you,
it wasn't yours in the first place." applies to the founder of the
Free Software Foundation just as much as to anyone else.  Too bad he
doesn't realize that.
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: