Netatalk [was Re: tlug: TLUG membership stats?]

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Tim Meggs wrote:

> While we are sort of in a Mac vein.    Does anyone on the list use netatalk?
> some info at,
> http://thehamptons.com/anders/netatalk/

I used to use netatalk on my home server.  You can save
Japanese filenames and stuff from the Mac to the Linux
box.  It works fine.  Icons and other Mac things work okay.
I stopped using it.  I'm not a Mac guy and in particular am
not that much of a fan of AppleTalk protocol.  I guess if
I had the server up 24 hours a day, it would have been
better.  However, if my wife wanted to back up her
files, she had to open AppleTalk networking and stuff
to access my Linux box.  Also, the AppleTalk protocol
seemed a little sluggish to me.  I was getting better
throughput with FTP and Fetch on the Mac.

The other big thing about Netatalk is the use of shared
printers.  I didn't need this capability since my home
printer has direct serial lines to both the Mac and the
Linux box.  So, I don't need to use one machine as a print
server.

What I had intended to do was to add tape backup capability
to my Linux box and do centralized server backup for my house
network.  Seemed a little excessive at the time, but maybe I'll
still do it one day.

Regards,
Craig

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: