tlug: New mailing lists !?

    Demian> Actually, it is not necessarily a good idea. Almost all of
    Demian> newly created mailing lists die because of lack of e-mail
    Demian> exchange.

Exactly.

    Demian> The better would be to start thinking now if it's a good
    Demian> idea or not, and if it's a good idea, which new lists
    Demian> should be created.  The proposals would be then voted by
    Demian> everyone.

    Demian> For this task, I propose the following schedule.

I think before thinking about new mailing lists, we really ought to
consider header conventions.  I would just end up dumping them all
into the same "linux" folder anyway; I suspect a lot of people would.

If people refrain from replying to just any message for the
convenience of not typing "tlug@example.com" (or at least change
the subject and eliminate "In-Reply-To:" and "References:" headers),
then a threading mail reader should help a lot.  Pine does,
Netscrap[1] does (I think), the more modern MUAs for Emacs (VM and
Gnus are "modern," RMail and MH-E are not) do.  Is anybody out there
_not_ using a threading mailreader, _and_ likes the one they use
enough not to be interested in a change?  Craig---how does threading
work with IMAP; should be ok, right?

A little bit of discipline (eg, reply to hardware-oriented messages
with a new hardware-oriented subject) plus a threaded mail reader will
organize the list well, and not result in any lists dying from
neglect.

Three cheers for dumping the "tlug note from" tag.  It was worth
trying but I didn't like it at all having tried it.

Footnotes:
[1]  Apparently my flame at Netscape triggered by its formatting of
Blaine's post didn't get to the list.  I don't feel like reproducing
it at the moment, but will if asked.

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: