Re: tlug: Debian upgrading

tlug note from Totoro <riley@example.com>
>tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
>What I did was install only the hamm directories first then install
>the stable packages only when required by the dependencies.  While
>I haven't had many problems, I don't recommend this since I've
>heard that a lot people had problems with the libc change.

After playing with this a bit, I decided to skip the libc-6 route.
Might as well wait til it all stabilizes a bit more.

>What kind of docs were you looking for?  I can usually get by
>with just the docs for dpkg.  If it is for the installation of
>debian, the docs on www.debian.org were pretty good for the
>installation procedure.  For the rest of the time, I make use
>of /usr/doc.  Another thing, when I did the install I used dpkg
>instead of dselect because I thought the interface sucked.
>However, I've heard from Stephen Turnbull that the interface to
>dselect was recently improved to the point where it is usable.
>If the problem you are having is with the older dselect and the
>lack of docs on it, I completely agree with you.  It made me
>give up on dselect and use just the command line.  Come to think
>of it, I would like to get my hands on some good documentation
>for dselect.

At first, dselect info would've been highly appreciated. After
I got the main system installed, I was looking for something
that would explain the filesystem used by Debian. RedHat has a
pretty decent html guide for that, and coming from RH to Debian
has a number of changes (took awhile to figure out where the
hell to put my icons for http!). At any rate, I've now found
out some things and gotten a little more Debian-ized. Once I
get a chance to try out the debian-jp I might be ready to move
my main disk over to it. Have to admit, that I'm a little bit
disappointed in the lack of some packages in .deb format (things
like apache 1.2, windowmaker, for example), but at least some of
the rpm's can work ok.

Thanks to Craig and Thomas for your help!

David
Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki  Hachinohe-shi  Aomori-ken

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997