Re: tlug: Debian upgrading

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, Totoro wrote:

riley>--------------------------------------------------------
riley>tlug note from Totoro <riley@example.com>
riley>--------------------------------------------------------
riley>I've been experimenting with debian on a spare disk. So far, I've
riley>been able to get the stable release of 1.3.1 installed. However,
riley>I'm stumped about how to upgrade the whole package to something
riley>like in the "hamm" directories. Seems like there should be some

What I did was install only the hamm directories first then install
the stable packages only when required by the dependencies.  While
I haven't had many problems, I don't recommend this since I've
heard that a lot people had problems with the libc change.

riley>of you out there well-versed on such matters? While I'm at it,
riley>is there a decent set of Debian docs around? What I've seen to

What kind of docs were you looking for?  I can usually get by
with just the docs for dpkg.  If it is for the installation of
debian, the docs on www.debian.org were pretty good for the
installation procedure.  For the rest of the time, I make use
of /usr/doc.  Another thing, when I did the install I used dpkg
instead of dselect because I thought the interface sucked.
However, I've heard from Stephen Turnbull that the interface to
dselect was recently improved to the point where it is usable.
If the problem you are having is with the older dselect and the
lack of docs on it, I completely agree with you.  It made me
give up on dselect and use just the command line.  Come to think
of it, I would like to get my hands on some good documentation
for dselect.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997