Re: tlug: Introducing myself & requesting some help

tlug note from Masahiro Otsuka <col@example.com>
Demian Martos wrote:

> tlug note from Demian Martos <demian@example.com>
> Hello tlugs,
>
> I'm new in this list, and would like to introduce myself. I also want
> beg
> for some advices, and this is perhaps not the right place, but...
>
> My name is Demian (pronounced Damian ;-), I come from Madrid (Spain)
> where I study Electrical Engineering. I'm here to spend a year in
> Japan,
> the first four months learning japanese from scratch, and the next
> eight
> months working for Hitachi.
>
> Although I'm not fond on computers, my friends in Madrid really are.
> They are using GNU/Linux for years, and since I started learning UNIX
> last year, they spoiled me to do the same.
> This means that I am a true beginner, Sorry *:-(
> I want to use Linux here in Japan, since I was told that there is no
> problem with japanese characters and all this stuff. Therefore, I need
> lot of advices to be able to start.
>
> I'm sure there's a lot of information in the web, but the current
> matter
> is that I don't have an access to Internet yet. Just access to my
> mailbox at pnsnet from time to time.
> (If you want to contact me, use the phone from 10 to 11 in the
> evening,
> tx a lot!)
>
> So, first of all, I need a computer. A second hand computer would be
> the
> best, a 486 with 16Mbytes RAM, 545Mb HD, a modem and perhaps a CD-ROM.
>
> I'm going to Akhihabara soon...BUT...should I know something about
> known
> Hardware incompatibilities with the debian Linux distribution (the one
> want to use) among the japanese trademarks, especially with HITACHI
> computers?
> Is there any Personal computer or devices you would recommend me?
> Thanks!

New computers are cheap now. You may want to consider buying new ones,
instead of old 486. Last week I got Compaq Prelinea(penitum150,16M
RAM,2GB HD) for ¥98,000 at Akihabara. I checked the price a few days ago
,it was ¥95,000. (Now this PC is loaded with RedHat and runs like a
dream. It is a file server for 20+ Mac and 2 win, with 3.2GBx2 SCSI
drives I added later on.)It's probably very difficult to find 486's
anyway.
Unfortunatly I don't have experience with Debian dist. But I use RedHat
and Caldera for work and home. It shouldn't be different from Debians.
>From my experience Linux run all most all PC I bought. With one
exception. That's AMD K6. This sounds so weired but I couln't recompile
kernel with this PC. I still don't know why. I took this HD to another
PC and was comiled OK. So you may want to be carefull with those PC's.

> Then i'll install GNU/Linux, have an internet connection, try to
> install
> PPP, and start networking with you! (Let's hope you are very patient
> people...:-)
>
> Otherwise, I'm joining you on the 11th of october for the tlug
> meeting.
>
> Any kind of replies, even angry ones, are welcome, via e-mail or via
> phone.
>
> See you,
>
> Demian Martos--

I will see you there then.  Good luck!

M&T Agency
Tokyo, Japan
Masahiro Otsuka

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997