Re: tlug: ISDN

tlug note from Ken Cotton <kc@example.com>
This may be my first time to post here. I just checked my Eudora TLUG
folder and I've been lurking here since at least March of 1996. Mostly
finding tips on local restaurants and hoping that I'd get the time for Linux.

At 04:56 PM 9/16/97 +0900, you wrote:
>> Really? Only 2,800? Or should that be 28,000 yen?
>
>It partly depends on how much (if any) installation work needs to be
>done at your end of the line.  If you have NTT do any wiring (like
>connecting a DSU), it will cost more.  It costs Y800 to get an ISDN
>contract and anywhere from Y2000 to Y20000 to do the "installation."

A year and a half ago I had NTT come out and plug in their 20,000+ Yen DSU
as I wanted to be sure that everything worked. No one around me had it and
I thought that I would have enough trouble getting the ISDN board I bought
(Elmic) working that it was safest to use their DSU and have them install
it. I forget what they charged for the visit, but I remember they said it
would be as much as 20+.

Things have changed. There is a lot more information available and a large
selection of cheap DSU's or TA/DSU combos, even a TA/DSU/router/hub combos.
And it seems that NTT no longer wants to rip everyone off on the installation.

It's so cheap now that about 3 months ago I decided to start working with
Naomi of Bricks helping with signups. I don't have a 'yugen gaisha' so I
can't do it on my own, yet.

If someone has some questions or would like to sign up, please email me or
contact Naomi at Bricks or just go to your local NTT office. It all costs
the same. We (she and then me) are paid by NTT. We just help with hardware
suggestions, answer any questions, and push for an early quick
installation/conversion date.

>> If it's really only 2,800 yen, perhaps I should consider
>> retiring my Couriers after all....
>
>If you have two standard phone lines you will find it cheaper to have
>a single ISDN line (not counting TA/DSU costs :-).  Unfortunately,
>telehodai costs more for ISDN than analog.  Lots of factors to weigh.

I really like the fast connections. But this doesn't really matter so much
to me any more as I have OCN and am online 24 hours a day. But I have kept
the ISDN line for use as an analog line, to connect to my provider to do
usenet news that I can't get via OCN and for remote access.

>There are agents for NTT that can provide more information (in English
>even :-) and handle the paperwork for NTT at no charge.  Browse
>http://bricks.gol.com/ or mail kc@example.com for examples.

Thanks for the plug Jim. I saw Trane Franck's post about 128k TAs and
emailed him privately telling him to consider the MN128 SOHO/DSU. (Looks
like he got the latest Aterm. <g>)

It was about 4 and a half years ago that I was first started logging on to
BBS's in town. I called TPC, but had problems with my modem hanging up.
Then I called a place called The Watering Hole and within 5 seconds of
entering my personal information the phone rang.

It was Trane, the sysop, there to help me. He gave me a tour of the BBS,
taught me about offline mailreaders and .QWK packets and walked me through
a few downloads. My life was never the same. Wow!

Ooops. Forgot this isn't private. Sorry.

Ken

PS: Trane got the nickname 'Florence Nightingale" for being so helpful.

--
Ken Cotton <kc@example.com>
http://www.kencotton.com

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997