Re: tlug: Aterm IT65Pro DSU

tlug note from Huw <count0@example.com>
Francks Trane (Tokyo PO) wrote:

> I just got an Aterm IT65Pro DSU that I'm going to be
> using to give our LAN access to the 'net. I'll be using
> it in combination with a Hayes ESP card tuned at
> 230.4 kbps for multilink-PPP.
>
> In random testing, I tried connecting with the card to
> my provider (GOL), but couldn't get to a login prompt.
> I haven't got the ESP card yet, so I was only using
> minicom locked at 115.2 kbps. Anyway, I could get
> minicom to dial and would see CONNECT 64000,
> but nothing came after that. Pressing '+++' drops
> me into command mode, and from there I can ath
> to hang up. Just no login prompt....
>
> Is this normal behaviour if I'm not running at 230.4 k?
> Intuition says no, but I've been wrong before. Intuition
> (and modem experience) tells me that the DTE link
> and DCE link operate independently and I should see
> a GOL login prompt even if I've locked the port at
> 300. The link that occurs over the ISDN operates
> at its rate, and the TA/DSU talks to the 'puter at the
> rate determined by the port speed on the 'puter.

You're right, the baud rate between the host and the modem/DSU
has nothing to do with it.

If you bought a LAN/ISDN connection, you may be getting
connected directly to a PPP protocol  which is expecting you
to authenticate yourself using CHAP or PAP, rather than
login using raw ASCII. In that case, you need to use
pppd together with a chat script which simply hands off
to pppd as soon as the CONNECT string appears.

It could also be a partity / data bits / stop bits problem,
but in that case you normally see something, even
if only garbage. Most PPP links are 8n1.

At the end of the day, just ask GOL what
your setup should be. I wouldn't mention Linux,
unless they support it, since this problem isn't Linux
specific anyway and vendors often use that as an
excuse not to provide service. Just ask them for
a clear description of the communications
protocol for establishing the PPP link.

    -Huw

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997