Re: tlug: Gimp novice question (HOWTO build)

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    me> Gimp is compiling happily (well, lots of uninitialized
    me> variable errors, but...)

OK, I built it, installed it, it's running, it's neat....  Here's what
I did.  Some of this is in the earlier post I made.

REDHAT=/usr/src/redhat
(1) get the RedHat source package, put it in $REDHAT/SRPMS
    # I tried `rpm -bp' and got nothing useful
    # I did _not_ apply any of the patches; this might be worth doing
(2) cd $REDHAT; rpm -i SRPMS/gimp-0.99.10-5.src.rpm
(3) cd SOURCES; tar xvzf gimp-0.99.10; tar xvzf gimp-data-0.99.9;
(4) cd gimp-0.99.10
    # I had already installed the JPEG-6a source; this is where the
    # GIMP build looks for the header files
(5) ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-jpeg=/usr/local/src/jpeg-6a
(6) make; make install
(7) cd gimp-data-0.99.9
(8) ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-jpeg=/usr/local/src/jpeg-6a
(9) make; make install

Redhat provides prebuilt packages, Debian probably does too (although
the stable version is only 0.54, probably there's domething more
recent in unstable; unstable is definitely for the adventurous at the
moment); you don't need to build the GIMP if you don't want to.

The executable is slow.  The plugins load slowly.  I had trouble
figuring out how to use many of the tools, and go lots of "no brush
for that tool" errors.  These end up in the terminal window, not in a
windowed dialog, so don't run in the background.  There are no docs I
could find.

I'd be interested to hear about other people's experience.

Steve
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997