Re: tlug: Gimp novice question

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Jim> I wish I could help you, but I still can't seem to get a good
    Jim> compile of Gimp. Even after the jpeg lib update the darn
    Jim> thing wouldn't compile. grrrr.....

Hmm.  For Ghostscript I have jpeg source installed in
/usr/local/src/jpeg-6a; the include files are there as are the primary
copy of the libraries (they are also installed into /usr/lib or
something).

Gimp is compiling happily (well, lots of uninitialized variable
errors, but...) now that I've put --with-jpeg=/usr/local/src/jpeg-6a
into the ./configure command ... only up to gimp/app/layer_select.c
now, will send when it terminates ... *success*.  Gimp runs; I don't
have gimp-data built yet, nor did I install it (I built it as root,
don't want to install a ~root/.gimp etc).  So I still can't help Craig
either.  :-)

What I did was to get the RedHat source (there seems to be a binary
package; is there some reason you _have_ to build it yourself?) for
0.99.10, and unpacked it.  Couldn't get RPM to build it for me, so I
just rpm -i'd it and am building separately in gimp-0.99.10 and
gimp-data-0.99.9.

    me> Get Cthugha.  Put Eric Johnson, the RC Succession, Vivaldi or
    me> a Bach tocatta on the CD.  Wagner is not recommended.

Definitely....

    me> Cthugha.  Couldn't find XCthugha; that would solve the extra
    me> screen problem :-)

My bad.  It's in the package, and got put into the Debian menu
system.  No more switching to the console!  And it's more pleasant at
the natural size (it doesn't dither or anything like that; at full
screen on the sVGA you get 4x4 pixel blcoks or somesuch...).

    me> The best part is that unlike acid, Cthugha doesn't cause
    me> genetic damage.  Except to your parents.

However ... there is a bug somewhere, at least for the ancient GUS I
have installed; the console is reporting "kernel: Sound: Recording
overrun" about 100x/second.  Trying to get the 8/25 patched sources....

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi