AW: tlug: Lyx and Latex

tlug note from =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_B=E4tzler?= <tbaetzle@example.com>
[Jim Schweizer on LyX/LaTeX]
>But, (there's always a 'but' with me, isn't there?) although I
>have Tex installed, I don't have Latex. No problem, I thought,
>I'll just go out, download a copy of Latex and I'll be up and
>printing in no time. So, I was off to CTAN where I found a
>bewildering array of Latex macros but nothing that said "I am
>Latex - take me." What am I looking for?

The contents of /tex-archive/macros/latex2e/base/
on any CTAN machine. You'll need all the files if you
want to build the latex format for yourself. As far as
I know, they do have WuFTP servers, so you can
grab a tar.gz of the whole directory.

>Does anyone know where to get a prebuilt LATEX macro package for
>Slackware?

Not as such. But may I recommend Thomas Esser's
TeTeX package? It's by all accounts pretty solid, and
it comes with an easy install script. Debian uses it,
too :-)

Bye,
Thomas

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997