Re: tlug: html to postscript converter.

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

andy>I looked around for some html to ps converters, but have not really
andy>found anything the does the job. I found one at:
andy>
andy>	ftp://ftp.tdb.uu.se/pub/sources/html2ps/
andy>

Andy,
I'm doing almost exactly the same thing you are doing.  Through
discussions with the author of html2ps I got him to add table
support and Japanese.   I'm not sure if the new version is
publicly available or not yet.  I think the guys name was
Jan.  He seemed pretty nice.  I have additional info if you
want it.

What I have is a centralized document server with the HTML
documents on it.  I then suck it in on the fly, generate
a cover page through a form (using HTML for variable font
sizes), filter it through html2ps, filter it through
GhostScript to get it into fax
format, then call up efax2 to send it through the modem.
I think that hylafax is probably better, but I had efax2
on my computer and it handled Japanese, so I just used efax2.

One thing that I can't do is spool the outgoing faxes.  What I
want to do is have anyone in the office click on the faxMe button
and get an immediate verification that the fax is spooled, then
set automatic retries on the spooled outgoing faxes, when the
automatic retry limit is exceeded, I want the person to receive
an e-mail that the fax failed.

Right now stdout is going to the browser, so they get a bunch
of tedious messages on screen as the fax is going out.

Also, the GhostScript I'm using doesn't seem to be that robust
with long Japanese documents.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452