Re: LaTeX vs sgml [was Re: tlug: What's wrong with Microsoft? ]

tlug note from Steven Bruce Dunham <dunham@example.com>
craig@example.com wrote:

> Re: Servlets

> I've recently been writing some cgi programs in Java.  I did
> a search for a package that would allow me to have the same
> functionality as Perl's CGI lib.  I found something, but I also
> found repeated references to Java servlets.  I downloaded the
> Java servlet development kit from www.javasoft.com and it
> appears that servlets are
> small extensions to a HTTP server that function like CGI programs.
> This seems interesting, but the documentation with it is a bit
> over my head.  Has anyone used a servlet before?  From what I
> can understand, it seems like something I want to use.

The June 97 electronic issue of Byte has an article on servelets.  Their
web guy seems to like them.

   http://www.byte.com/art/9706/sec8/art1.htm

Basically servelets are a Java API for classes that serve the same
function as CGI.  The idea is that they work with any Java web server
that supports the interface.

He also points out a couple of minimal Java web servers that support
servelets without a lot of baggage.

Steve
dunham@example.com