xemacs on the shell [was Re: tlug: Canna and looking for ]

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

On Wed, 28 May 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> True.  I still use shells a lot, though, and can't use XEmacs over a
> phone line (lacking the patience of the Buddha).

There are a couple of ways to do this.  If you compile
egg-canna or egg-wnn support into XEmacs, you can then
telnet from your local Linux box to your remote Linux
box within a kterm.  Start XEmacs with

  $ xemacs -nw

and do your stuff on the shell.

The other way is to get xemacs on the server to accept
the input of your local input method only.  So in this
scenario, xemacs runs on the remote server with the
no window option.  It then waits for the characters to
be sent by telnet protocol that were generated by your
local Japanese input method.

If you get this to work, let me know.  I would like to input
from kinput2 to the shell of my ISP.  I think it is a matter
of setting the .emacs file properly.

Regards,
Craig