Re: tlug: Canna and looking for other comments on a new install

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    Steve> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
    Steve> writes:

    >> You could create the XEmacs+Canna package, but this has the
    >> disadvantage of promoting disunity in the user interface.

    Steve> Well, there is no disunity of user interface if you work
    Steve> entirely inside XEmacs... :)

True.  I still use shells a lot, though, and can't use XEmacs over a
phone line (lacking the patience of the Buddha).

    Steve> Apparently, it's a SJIS, one-big-font encoding. (It uses
    Steve> /Ryumin-Light-RKSJ-H on Linux.)

Yeah, I caught that.

    Steve> The fonts are just the output of "wdtopfa" (the ones that
    Steve> end in .r??) with a small driver file. The driver file
    Steve> makes both EUC and SJIS encodings available.

Ah, right.  Forgot about that interface.  It didn't work right when I
first started using kanji with Ghostscript.  Ghostscript bug, not the
driver, I think.

    Steve> For TeX, I've settled with CJK (I don't like using
    Steve> customized TeX binaries), using the wadalab fonts converted
    Steve> according to your instructions.  (i.e. "dmjhira.pfa", etc.)

How hard is it to use CJK?  I couldn't make head or tail of it when I
first started (the README starts by explaining the internal
representation ;-), and so I just continued to use JTeX.

    Steve> But I have xdvi and dvips automatically call"gsftopk" to
    Steve> generate 600dpi bitmaps from .pfa fonts. (Unlike ps2pk,
    Steve> gsftopk gets the baselines right.)  The reason I do this is
    Steve> that dvips was having problems doing partial font
    Steve> downloading.  The bitmaps make for reasonable sized .ps
    Steve> files.

Hmm.  I don't have a Postscript level 2 printer, so I've never tried
that.

    Steve> The xdvi views are fast and very readable (because of
    Steve> anti-aliasing).

Since I was going through Ghostscript for everything anyway, I've used
that as the viewer.  But of course it's slow.

    Steve> (I couldn't figure out how to get TeX to use the monolithic
    Steve> postscript font without resorting to jTeX and dvi2psj.)

Hmm.  I'll take a look.  I've wanted to learn Postscript for a while :-)

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi