Re: tlug: A Question on Creating Linux Partitions

tlug note from jwb@example.com (Jim Breen)
On May 12,  9:54am, Jim Tittsler wrote:
} Subject: Re: tlug: A Question on Creating Linux Partitions
>> On Sun, May 11, 1997 at 02:30:38PM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:
>> > The easiest solution is to boot Linux off of a floppy.
>>
>> LOADLIN.EXE is a small DOS program that will load a zImage file (Linux
>> kernel) and boot it.  This avoids dealing with LILO.  I use it on machines
>> where I don't want LILO present/visible.

I second that. I used to use LILO, but when I got a bigger disk that
needed those extra overlays to get around the limited support from the
BIOS, the MBR could no longer accommodate LILO. (It took a long painful
night, and two reformats of the disk to determine this.)

Since we run a triple system (DOS,Win95,Linux), booting up in DOS and
hitting LOADLIN is simple.

--
Jim Breen          [$@%8%`!&%V%j!<%s(J@$@%b%J%7%eBg3X(J]
Department of Digital Systems.                  Monash University,