Re: tlug: A Question on Creating Linux Partitions

tlug note from Jim Tittsler <jwt@example.com>
On Sun, May 11, 1997 at 02:30:38PM -0400, Steve Dunham wrote:

> The big problem will be getting Linux to boot, without taking out Win
> NT or Win95.  I've used Win95 with Linux, it's fairly easy to handle,
> but you are booting NT off of an extended partition.  So I don't know
> if the NT boot loader is on /dev/hda2 or the master boot record.
>
> The easiest solution is to boot Linux off of a floppy.

LOADLIN.EXE is a small DOS program that will load a zImage file (Linux
kernel) and boot it.  This avoids dealing with LILO.  I use it on machines
where I don't want LILO present/visible.

loadlin is also handy if you have a device that requires some mystical
initialization that can only be done from a DOS utility, since you can
boot DOS, initialize the card, and then start Linux without resetting.
loadlin is available in the dosutils directory of the RedHat distributions
and is described in the BootPrompt and UMSDOS HOWTOs.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/