tlug: [Q] creating mailing list archives

tlug note from massato@example.com

Hi.

Novice linux user would like pointers on how to do the following:

  I have hundreds of MBs of mail files that I've been simply downloading
directly from my .mailspool directory in my ISP account. I would like to
be able to:

     * filter these messages so I have a file of msgs from mailing list X,
       another file for mailing list Y, etc.
     * sort the individual mail list files by date, deleting duplicate
       msgs
     * split each mailing list file into chunks of 100K or so

  The ultimate goal is to take these files and put them on a DOS
partition. I would then be able to index and search my mail archives using
the AltaVista private extension search engine.

  I'm still fumbling through unix commands, but I figured the best way to
learn is to try my hand at something like this.