Re: tlug: [Q] creating mailing list archives

>      * sort the individual mail list files by date, deleting duplicate
>        msgs

There are a variety of tools that could handle this.  The one that I
would suggest is procmail.  Procmail is a *highly* configurable mail
filtering program.  It is includes a small tool called 'formail' that
is capable of taking your giant mailboxes, splitting them back into
single messages, and feeding each of those to procmail.  formail
can also keep a list of the most recent message IDs that it has seen
so that you can filter out duplicates as they go past procmail.
Examples of both of these applications are in the procmail and formail
manual pages.  There is a brief FAQ available at
  http://www.iki.fi/~era/procmail/
Version 3.10 is available in RPM format wherever fine RedHat software
is archived.  The latest version is 3.11pre6 (but 3.10 should work
fine in your application).

>      * split each mailing list file into chunks of 100K or so

That you can do after you've sorted them.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo  7j1ajh@example.com  http://shrine.cyber.ad.jp/~jwt/