Re: tlug: Broken fs?

tlug note from Christopher Wiles <wileyc@example.com>
On Tue, 22 Apr 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I don't know the WD IDE drives, but I've had the Micropolis 2GB SCSI
> drive fail once, and the replacement is making funny noises
> occasionally :-(.

For awhile, Micropolis buried a statement in its warranty that said
something to the effect of "we don't recommend that these drives be used
in UNIX workstations or servers."  Their mechanisms couldn't handle heavy
access -- and our news server burned out two nine-gig drives in six
months.

WD had a couple bad batches of Caviar drives.  They'd work for awhile
(albeit while making horrible grinding/clicking noises), then they'd fail
spectacularly.

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)