Re: tlug: HP Laserjet 4LJ

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
I wrote:

    >> (3) gs -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=test.lj -sDEVICE=laserjet test.ps
    >>     -c quit; lpr -s test.lj
    >> should work (on any laserjet).
    >> (4) gs -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=test.lj -sDEVICE=ljet4 test.ps -c quit;
    >>     lpr -s test.lj
    >> should also work (with LJ4 optimizations).

    Totoro> Ghostscript seems to be processing the file ok, as it
    Totoro> shows the fonts that it's calling up. However, once I try

When Ghostscript doesn't have an error and gv works, probably the PCL
file is getting generated correctly.

    Totoro> to print the output file, I get a bunch of random
    Totoro> characters across the top couple of lines on a page. This

This suggests that the printer is somehow in "the wrong mode."  One
possibility is that (as you suspected) there is some kind of "Japanese
mode" for the J-version of the firmware.  More likely is that your
filter software is still getting in the way, somehow.  Try resetting
the printer, and doing "cat test.lj >/dev/printer" or "cat test.lj
>/dev/lp0" or whatever seems to be the printer device.  This will
probably not screw up your lpr daemons and stuff, because it bypasses
the filters and spooling completely.  And with your current problems
you're presumably not printing much of anything any other way....

If you're multibooting, you can try using DOS or windows to print the
test.lj file produced by Ghostscript.

    Totoro> Since I can't do the above, I'm still pretty confused
    Totoro> here. It all acts like it's working, but I just get slop
    Totoro> on the paper.

Good luck, anyway.

    Totoro> I really appreciate you taking the time to reply on
    Totoro> this. If there are any further areas to look at I'd love
    Totoro> to know. It's just a drag now and with classes going full
    Totoro> speed ahead it's hard to sit down and try to tune this up.

This says exactly what you wanted it to say, as far as I'm concerned.
I didn't find it abrupt at all (maybe panicky ;-)

Steve

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi