Re: Debian/Laptops n'stuff

> From: gaijin@example.com (John Little)
> Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 23:07:45 +0900

>  I actually found "dselect" so *counter* intuitive that I gave up...
>  I loaded just the minimum system and then used the command line
>  interface to their package tool (dpkg?) to add everything else. It
>  was much easier.

It takes a while to get used to dselect.  There is a default
set of packages it loads.  You can scan through them and
hit "-" for the ones that you don't want to load.  The top
section of the package listing is a list of the packages
that you already have on your system.

You can press "?" at any time to get the basic commands.  Still,
I think the commands are pretty vague.

>  intended (I assume) for 5.25 inch drives. Anyway, the boot disk
>  worked fine, but the "root" disk gave errors and bombed. It's
>  probably going to be easier to pop the hard drive into another
>  system (which is how I loaded it the first time round) than to fool
>  around with the 1.2MB drive.

Are you using Debian 1.2?  One thing to be really careful is to
make sure that there are no errors on your floppy disk.  Make sure
that you low level format *and* verify each floppy disk before
attempting a dd.  The extra few minutes is definitely worth it.
There can be no media errors on the boot or root disks.  This is
really critical

The laptop at work is a AT&T Globalyst, 486-100mhz, 12 megs RAM.
I don't recommend it with Linux since the video chip set is
obscure and I could only get VGA 16 colors when I tried it
a while ago.  X and especially Netscape looked a little weak with
16 colors.

I used to use an old Toshiba as a fax server in my home a long
time ago.  It seemed to work okay.

Happy New Year

Craig