Re: (Fwd) installing as s standart user

    Alberto> In message <199612091704.RAA21060@example.com> you wrote:
    >> (4) FEPs:  Canna prefers to be installed by root

    Alberto> According to the documentation, wnn files are installed
    Alberto> and owned by an user named 'wnn' (I don't know if this
    Alberto> can be changed...).

Of course it can be changed, as long as wnn does not use a privileged
port (n < 1024) to communicate with applications.  Canna uses port
5680.  (Oops: on our Sun network, wnn uses port 601.  I don't know if
this is default, or if it can be reconfigured on the command line of
jserver.)  wnn otherwise should not care who owns it, and as long as
all the files are owned by one user and you are that user, no problem.
The reason for having the "wnn" user is three-fold: (1) all users have
access to wnn files, but (2) only through jserver, and (3) wnn doesn't
have access to your files so it can't screw them up.  But "wnn" can be
"turnbull" or "Alberto", unless you want to share wnn with other
users.

The problem is that the installation script probably does a "chown" to
"wnn:bin" or the like, which can be done by any user on their own
files.  Once you do that, though, you can't get it back.  That's all
you have to watch out for.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi