Re: EDICT and gairaigo or colloquial nihongo

At 16:42 96.11.19, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
> > I've noticed that economics terminology is horribly badly translated
> > into Japanese, with no rhyme or reason and even less connection with
> > normal usage of the terms than there is in English.  Anybody else
> > noticed this in their own fields?
>
>   Sloppy translation is endemic in many fields here.  A friend once
> explained to me that this was due to the way translations are often
> done here.  A publisher will ask a 'well-known' professor from a
> 'famous' university.  The professor (who may or may not be capable of
> doing a proper job of it himself) will farm the work out to grad
> students who often have a poor command of the source language (and
> ideas involved - if any) and often can't write Japanese to save their
> lives either.

Exactly. One other factor is that often, translators are "worshippers" of
the original authors, and they are afraid to deviate from the original
wording of the text, lest they should lose some "profound" sense in the
original text. As a result, we get translations that are not much better than
machine translation.

----------- $@!{!?(J     $@;37A(J $@example.com@@example.com(J
--------- $@!c"'!!(J      $@example.com