Re: Craig's "Rainikkusu" site

    Shige> On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

    >> Anyone else have thoughts on this and/or favourite window
    >> managers to recommend?  I really quite like the plain, but
    >> functional, nine-paned fvwm that is standard issue with
    >> Slackware.  With some nice artwork in the root window, decent
    >> border colours (the Slackware defaults are horrid) and
    >> xdaliclock, what more could any Linuxer want?

Hear, hear.  Actually, though, I find the multiple desktop feature of
fvwm 2 (whose default colors are even worse than Slackware's, IMHO)
a big improvement.  It keeps my mail from stepping on my coursework
from stepping on my research from stepping on my Linux development.  I
also appreciate having a GoodStuff which swallows clocks properly.

    Shige> I vote for AfterStep.

    Shige> I think its absolutely the best looking WM out there.

Personally, I look at the apps, not the WM.  I've worked with a fair
number, and the only really important feature is 3d borders on
toplevel windows, which help a lot in separating different
applications.  I have no real need for 3d effects inside a properly
organized window, though; I haven't bothered to replace Xaw with Xaw3d
for xarchie and mule, even.

    Shige> Its modeled after the elegant NextStep OS.  Though based on
    Shige> FVWM 1.24f, it has lots of added features.

Are these "features" useful?

    Shige> There is a complete set of exellent looking icons that are
    Shige> heavily based on NeXT.  A whole series of applets have been
                                                     ^^^^^^^
Applets?

    Shige> written to replace the ugly FVWM ones.

    Shige> There is work on making it functional beyond Fvwm as well.

Um, yes.  Functional would be nice.  Does it have a true session
manager?  That would be really nice.

The other thing that I want from fvwm 2 that I haven't figured out yet
is a path-to-desktop mapping (ie, /usr/src/linux/myhacks/* should end
up on the Kantoka desktop, ~/mail/* or RMAIL should end up on the Mail
desktop, ~/Research/* should end up on the Nantoka destop, and so
on).  An intelligent cascade function which arranges top-livel windows,
sort of like a Windows help file, with all the title bars showing, that
I could attach as the RaiseLower function would be nice.  (Well, I'd
like to try it; I don't know whether it would really be useful or
not.)  "Intelligent" means that windows can be easily arranged in
cascade groups, it doesn't just cascade every window on the desktop.

Maybe an interface to *tags utilities for the intelligent cascade
function....

If AfterStep does any or all of the above, I'd like to know about it.
But what I really need are intelligent "session management" and
"workspace management" functions, not "fvwm on acid" title bars.

My 2 yen....

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi