Re: A response from Walnut Creek

    Jim> Hi all, I recently inquired of Walnut Creek CDROM whether
    Jim> they had any ides as to why I haven't been able to compile
    Jim> newer (and older) kernels that recognize my SCSI drives when
    Jim> they boot. Which versions of libc and gcc should I be using?

GCC 2.7.0 was buggy in the DOS platform (DJGPP); I suggest upgrading
to 2.7.2 as compiling kernels is a workout.  I don't know that that
will help, but it's a possibility.

    Jim> Did this guy read my inquiry?

Doesn't look like it; the library is current and the compiler isn't
that old.

    Jim> Should I deep 6 Slackware and try Red Hat? Slackware is on
    Jim> /dev/sda1 and most of the *good* stuff is on /dev/sda2. If I
    Jim> trash Slackware and install Red Hat to /dev/sda1 will all the
    Jim> programs on /dev/sda2 still work?

Um, not until you *know* you can get another kernel to work.  At least
make sure you've got a copy of the old kernel you can install.  This
is still the "peanut brittle" SCSI setup right?  How are recent
kernels failing to compile?

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi