Re: trans and trans.el (mule and edict)

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, C. Oda wrote:

> Hi,
> I was unable to get edict.el working.  However, I did manage
> to get Friedl's trans
> (http://www.wg.omron.co.jp/~jfriedl/perl/index.html#trans)
> and Huttar's trans.el (same place as above) working.
> This is just a kick-butt combination with mule.  Finding
> place and proper names is as easy as selecting the word
> and press C-c C-t.  Awesome!
>
> I have one problem.  When I get the output, it tells me
> that I'm genkigenkigenki.
> ◆ trans - 77 genkigenkigenki
>
> ◆ 瀬戸genkigenkigenki

  Hi,

  It is indeed an awesome combination.  For those who don't have enamdict
concatenated onto edict like Craig, it is necessary to go into trans.el
and add enamdict to the @example.com list:

@example.com =  (
     "$ENV{'HOME'}/lib/edict",  ## set to whatever file you  like;
     "$ENV{'HOME'}/lib/enamdict",  ## set to whatever file you  like;

and then don't forget to modify this line (change the 1 to 0):

$skipnames = 1; ## Default is to skip names

Otherwise trans will read enamdict, but ignore all the names, which is a
little beside the point.

  Craig, if you don't like all that genkigenkigenki stuff, it seems to live
in trans.el (in this line anyway):

  (process-send-string proc (format "trans - %d genkigenkigenki\n"
                                      (window-width)))

  Presumably this could be altered to read kutakutakutakuta ;-)

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka