Re: Japanese language email problem (cont'd)

    Dennis> On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
    >> (1) He also had a "Pine" message-ID; I don't think he *can*
    >> change his Content-Type header.

    Dennis>   As a matter of fact, following Kazuko's advice, I just
    Dennis> did.  Pine under Unix provides for system-wide
    Dennis> configuration which can also be overridden by individual
    Dennis> users' ~/.pinerc files.

Well, I tried changing the Custom Headers on my Pine 3.91 direct from
UW's archive, and the result was that both the Pine-generated
"US-ASCII" content-type header and the Custom "ISO-2022-JP"
content-type header were included.  I couldn't find anything in the .
pinerc file that looked like it could override the program-generated
header, nor did there seem to be any internationalization features.
If you have a Japanese version or a more recent version, I wouldn't
know about its features.  Not being a Pine user, I checked what little
I know about it in the Help and found nothing useful.

    Dennis> Surprisingly, Pine now labels my
    Dennis> messages "us-ascii" when there's no kanji in them, and
    Dennis> iso-2022-jp when there is.

What version of Pine do you use?  Where did you get it?  What exactly
did you change in the configuration?  I do have users who use Pine
regularly (in particular my nihonjin wife).

BTW all the text seemed to be in New-JIS.

    Dennis>   Maybe I'm misunderstanding the issue here, but, now that
    Dennis> I've configured it correctly, the version of Pine I'm
    Dennis> using uses the "Content-type: text/plain;
    Dennis> charset=ISO-2022-JP" header if there's Japanese in the
    Dennis> text, and "Content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII"
    Dennis> when there isn't.  Shouldn't this be OK?

This is exactly what you want; I checked the local docs quickly and
looked through what customizations I could find.  I may have missed
something pertaining to the content-type recognition.

教えてお願い致します。

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi