Re: Apache Errors

    Jim> Hi All, I started messing around again with the httpd stuff
    Jim> again - this time with Apache. I've tried to get the image
    Jim> map working to no avail and hoped (once again - sigh) that
    Jim> you could point me in the right direction.

    Jim> This is from the errors_log:
    Jim>   [Mon Sep 23 18:11:18 1996] access to
    Jim>     /usr/local/etc/httpd/cgi-bin/imagemap failed for wormhole,
    Jim>     reason: Premature end of script headers

    Jim> And the access_log:
    Jim> wormhole:/usr/local/etc/httpd/logs# more access_log
    Jim>   # This is the access_log
    Jim>   wormhole - - [23/Sep/1996:18:11:19 +0900]
    Jim>     "GET /cgi-bin/imagemap/map1.map?128,17 1 HTTP/1.0" 500 -

    Jim> As you can see, it seems to be reading the map but the 'premature
    Jim> end of script headers' is a problem.

This looks to me like the kind of error you'd get if there were two
components to the system, an image-reading script (called
$HTTPD_HOME/cgi-bin/imagemap under NCSA HTTPd's sample implementation)
and a map file (called imagemap.conf under NCSA HTTPd's sample
implementation).  You could also get this kind of error if you have a
version mismatch so that the (presumably) old version of the imagemap
script (script? the NCSA version is a C program) is failing to send
headers required by the new version.

    Jim> Also, in the bottom left of Netscape's screen it doesn't show
    Jim> the coordinates, j ust the name of the file.

But you do get this with other imagemaps?  I don't seem to recall
this.  I think this is an option that gets enabled in Netscape
Preferences and/or you need to specify the map properly in the HTML.

Hope this helps (or somebody who uses imagemaps a lot has a better
idea...).

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi