Re: Building a 2.0 kernel

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I decided to take your advice and try to build a more recent kernel so I
> fetched linux-2.0.tar.gz off the July Mo' Linux CD-ROM and untarred it in
> /usr/src figuring it would unpack into something like /usr/src/linuxelf-2.0.
> It didn't. It unpacked into /usr/src/linux which, as you'll recall, was a
> symlink to linuxelf-1.2.13. Is this a problem? (I'm *sure* that's a Newbie
> question <grin>)

2.0 is a bit edgy. If you're not running Apache, you might give 2.0.15 a
try. Otherwise, possibly 2.0.14 (tsx-11.mit.edu/pub/linux/sources/system
is one place to get it). When you've untarred it read the README for the
symlinks, then drop down into the Documentation subdirectory, read the
Changes, and haul down the relevant packages before upgrading the kernel.

Quite a lot breaks going from an older Slackware to 2.0.x.

      James Ellison          |    Cyber Technologies International K.K.
=============================|      General Manager, Tech Systems Dept.
 jellison@example.com        |  Toranomon Suzuki Bldg, 3-20-4 Toranomon
 tech@example.com            |              Minato-ku, Tokyo 150, Japan
 http://www.cyber.ad.jp      |  Tel:+81-3-3578-4888 Fax:+81-3-3578-4889