re: Linux, Win 95, and Netscape Problems

Form: Reply
Header: Adaptec
Text: (16 lines follow)
George,
  I've seen similar behavior with large IDE drives and Win95 in these cases:

1.	The MB BIOS thinks (auto mode) the drive is < it's actual size, yet Win95
sees the whole enchilada.

2.	LBA in MB or add in IDE card is not enabled, so again BIOS thinks drive
is smaller than it physically is but Win95 sees it all.

Both cases are dangerous.  These last issues obsoleted a perfectly good
850MB drive and now I use SCSI in the particular system that exhibited these
problems.

Ted

Original text: (59 lines follow)
>From owner-tlug@example.com, on 3/11/96 7:53 PM:
To: tlug@example.com
Cc: george@example.com

TLUG,

     I need advice on the following. Please help.

1. Linux and Win 95

     I finally and "successfully" installed both Linux and Win 95 on
my 1 GB IDE hard disk. BUT, when I'm on DOS window in Win 95 and type
dir/w to see the available disk space, it says "1 GB" - which can't
be possible since I partitioned my hard drive so that Win 95 would
only occupy 500 MB. It's kind of scary because Win 95 might write over
the Linux files. This is not normal, is it? Is this solvable?
If not, I'm thinking of buying System Commander - the OS switcher -
to get around this problem.

2. Linux and Netscape Version 2.0

     After running netscape, I get the following error message when
running other commands: ( e.g. the ls command )

          ls: can't map 'dev/zero'
          ls: can't map 'dev/zero'
          ls: can't load library 'libc.so.5'

How come? I'm just a novice Linux user and I don't really understand
this message.

     My system is as follows:

Hardware:
     -  Fujitsu FMV desktop designed for Win 95 (DOS/V)
     -  Japanese keyboard
     -  1 GB IDE hard disk

Software:
     -  OS: Red Hat Linux 2.1 - 1.2.13 ELF kernel
            Windose 95
     -  beta version of XF86_Ma64 X server for the ATI Mach 64 video
        card

TIA,
George

$@%8%g!<%8(J $@%@!<%Q%H(J