Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux and Windows 95

    Craig> On Mon, 1 Jan 1996, Norihide Kise wrote:
    >> Well, I'm a student studing Computer Science, but I'm not sure
    >> whether I'm going to program under Linux or not. The reason why
    >> I play with Linux is my curiosity. By the way, I'm interested
    >> in writing computer games. Is Linux good for writing computer
    >> games?

    Craig> Hmm, probably not, though of course this is debatable.  If
    Craig> you use the SVGA libs, you might as well do it under DOS to
    Craig> get a larger audience for your games.

I won't speak to the issue of X, etc, except to say that a well tuned
game running under Xlib can be fast, fast enough to run over the
Internet (I saw a demo of an Asteroids game run that way).  But you
have to be both an X wizard and a graphics wizard; doing it the
obvious way won't work.  You don't want to try a game in Motif, I
don't think....

One possibility for games under Linux is to use the LIBGRX package
that comes with DJGPP (DJ Delorie's port of GCC to DOS; uses the GO32
DOS extender that he wrote).  LIBGRX is an excellent fast graphics
package for use with DJGPP, and supposedly is being ported to the
Linux environment.  DJGPP is not as good for writing games as some of
the DOS environments (in particular Watcom and Turbo C both usually
produce smaller and faster executables), but it usually is close in
both size and speed to the best that the commercial compilers can do.

I don't know what the status of the Linux port is.

The DJGPP version of Ghostscript running under DESQview/X 2.1 is quite
competitive with the Linux versions running on XFree86 3.1.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Socio-Economic Planning                         Yaseppochi-Gumi