Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux and Windows 95

Hello, guys. If anyone could suggest me some helpful information, I really
appreciate it.

> > I was goning to buy a new computer through a mail order company like
> > Gateway 2000, or Dell, but when I saw their price tags, I changed my
> > mind. I'm currently planning to buy through small mail order companies
> > since I can specify each component.
> >
> > 	*CPU - Pentium 75 or Pentium 90
> If you buy a Pentium, the 90 is much better.  The voltage got reduced
> from the 90s onward.  IMHO you might want to consider a DX4-100 and
> spend the extra money on RAM if you are under a tight budget.

Is it true that the 75 use the 5.0 volt? According to the article from
the "Byte" magazine, only the 60 and the 66 use the 5.0 volt, and all the
processors starting the 75 and up use the 3.3 volt.

> > 	*Cache - ?
> > 	*RAM - 8MB at least (Should I have EDO RAM?)
>
> > 	*Video card - ?
> > 	*Video memory - 1MB (at least, right?)

> > 	*CD-ROM drive - double speed (which manufacture?)
> Mitsumi drives are pretty cheap and work.

Could you recommend some alternative manufactures?

> > 	*Monitor - NEC XV 14"
> How much is that?  I notice that the MAG DX-15 is about 30,000 yen
> or slightly more.  That extra inch of space comes in handy.

According to the newest "Computer Shopper" magazine, the MAG DX-15 is
priced at $349 + $24.50 for shipping. That the cheapest price I can find
in the magazine. By the way, could you trust the monitors not
manufactured by NEC, Sony, or Nokia? I think buying a cheap-Taiwanese
monitor is very risky.

> > I usually use my computer to program in assembly, C, and C++ and do some
> > database stuff. Also, I play with Linux, no programming is involved.
> > Plus, some DOS-based games.

> If you are programmer, you will probably start compiling stuff under
> Linux pretty soon.  This is another reason, I would recommend getting
> more RAM.

Well, I'm a student studing Computer Science, but I'm not sure whether
I'm going to program under Linux or not. The reason why I play with Linux
is my curiosity. By the way, I'm interested in writing computer games. Is
Linux good for writing computer games?