Re: I'd like to know what hardware is the best for Linux and Windows 95

Hello, guys. I still have some questions. If you could give me your
informative comments, I'd appreciate.

> Norihide Kise <s100234@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >I was goning to buy a new computer through a mail order company like
> >Gateway 2000, or Dell, but when I saw their price tags, I changed my
> >mind.

	*Motherboard - (Intel?)
	 If anyone could explain about differences among the motherbord, I'd
	 like to hear that explanations. For instance, Intel makes "Zappa
	 Motherboards," "Endervor Motherboards," etc.. Also, what's meaning
	 of "Tritron Chipsets?"

	*BIOS - (Should I get flash BIOS? Which maker is the best?)

	*controller - (PCI EIDE controller? Which manufactuer is the best?

	*Sound Board - (cheap SoundBlaster 16-bit ok?)

> >	*Video card - ?
> >	*Video memory - 1MB (at least, right?)
> I'd suggest at least 2MB.  I like the ATI Mach 64 card I have in one of
> the machines in the office.  The ET4000/W32p board I have in my home
> machine is a good low price alternative, since it has good "DOS performance"
> (i.e. writing directly into the frame buffer is fast, but the accelleration
> features are nothing special).

Is having 2MB necessary? I am not a graphics designer. Also, there are
some significant price differences among ATI Mach 64 cards because of
VRAM-based cards and DRAM-based card. Are DRAM-based cards good enough?
I'd like somebody to recommends some alternative boards.

> >	*CD-ROM drive - double speed (which manufacture?)
> You might consider 4X. Now that the 6X and 8X drives are shipping in
> volume, 4X drives have dropped significantly in price.  (Of course,
> it also means that 2X drives are really cheap now.)

Do you think that it is necessary to have a 2X CD-ROM drive? I'm a
student studying Computer Science. I mainly use my computer to program in
C, C++, and assembly, and do some database stuff. Plus, using my home PC,
I log on to the unix system at the university. About Linux, I just play
with it. I've never programmed under Linux. The reason why I play with it
is if somebody ask about Linux, I just cannot say, "What's that? I don't
know anything about it!" Anyway, if I need a 2X CD-ROM drive, please
explain why. It helps me to understand the unknown territory Linux!

> >	*Monitor - NEC XV 14"
> I've been spoiled.  I think 15" is the minimum you should consider,
> with 17" being so much nicer that it is tough to recommend anything
> smaller.  If you are going to be using a GUI, you need the extra
> screen real estate.  I think the monitor is the most dangerous place
> to compromise.

Well, Jim. I basically agree with you, but getting the NEC XV 15" monitor
costs me $419 + $24.50 for shipping. On the other hand, the NEC XV 14"
monitor costs me $289 + $24.50 for shipping. Also, the XV 14" monitor has
the 13" viewing area and the XV 15" monitor has the 13.8" viewing area.
Although it's small, I think that the NEC XV 14" monitor is good to buy,
but I'd like to hear from anyone who disagree with me.

Sincerely,