[LINUX:38]

With the I/O error problem, make sure you're doing a fsck of the correct
file system (sounds dumb I know, but it's all I can think of).

The root logging in problem sounds like a problem with /etc/ttydefs (or
maybe it's /etc/default/ttydefs, I can't remember and don't have it installed).
Anyway, comment our the CONSOLE= line, or set it so you can log in from
the vts.

As for the uucp problem; no idea. Try uutry with heaps of debugging and see
if it comes up with more information.

Cheers,

Christopher.