Re: [tlug] Anyone alive out here ?

On Tue, Sep 03, 2024 at 04:23:17PM UTC, Josh Glover wrote:
> On Monday, 2 September 2024 at 18:54, lain. <lain@example.com> wrote:
>
> > The reasons why I love OpenBSD so much:
> > * Every part is very consistent.
> > * It just works.
> > * It has sane and secure defaults.
>
> With you so far.
>
> > * The community is driven by merit, so no politics anywhere.
>
> Hrm, interesting. I wonder if...
>
> > * Unlike Linus Torvalds, Theo de Raadt continues to be himself despite
> > the pressure coming from the woke outrage mobs.
>
> ...aaand there it is. :facepalm:
>
> --Josh

I think that when you throw around the word woke, you should see who it's
used at. Here in the US, it's used for people who believe:
Woman have rights.
Books shouldn't be banned from schools even if they tell of the evils of
this country.
That if a 10 year old becomes pregnant, she wasn't "asking for it" and
should be allowed to abort the baby.
All these things are considered woke over here.

Although I don't think the term woke was used at the time,
those who felt Muhammad Ali should have been allowed to box,
that Lenny Bruce should be allowed to perform his act, that Gore Vidal
shouldn't have had to write under a pseudonym to get published after
publishing a novel about a love between two men, I wonder if those folks
were considered woke? I'm certain they would be today.
So, yeah, I'm very glad I'm woke.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6