Re: [tlug] CJK Input Methods

Ok I can answer this! 😄

* Mozc stalls all the time - I switch between English Russian and Japanese and while English and Russian are reliable, Mozc very often stops working - it says Japanese, but the actual mode is either English or Russian

* Mozc conversion is so poor - it feels to me even my first PC8801 series computer in 1980s had better conversion.   I remember back in the days NEC would advertise how their AI could convert tricky sentences  involving 3 different senses of the word あめ.

But the article I quoted in original post suggests that the free version (not the one that Google uses in the proprietary sibling) just has a very inferior dictionary or something?

Just like the word 'Linux' usually means the whole package, not just some technical definition of Kernel this and that, by saying  'Mozc', I am probably referring to a much wider range of things not just the core whatever that is given that name.  I don't know the exact boundaries but the observable fact is that the overall Japanese input is just very poor in Ubuntu😅.

> On Jul 16, 2024, at 18:10, Darren Cook <darren@example.com> wrote:
>

>>> The approach I am thinking is to understand how Linux input works and create a simple IME ...
>> I've used, attempted to use, and eventually gave up trying to use,
>> Japanese input methods in Linux over the last 30 years or so.
>
> I'm still not clear on what the problem is that Yasuaki is trying to fix.
>
> IMEs are now easy enough to install, at least on Ubuntu and derivatives, following the instructions I've posted a couple of times.
>
> And they work well in all apps that I know of. I wondered if it is because I mainly use webapps in browsers and electron apps (vscode, slack, etc), but I just tested in the terminal, and using vi, and again it still works fine (including being able to switch between ascii, Japanese, pinyin and Russian). I also tested creating Japanese filenames over ssh.
>
> There was a tangible improvement moving to fcitx5, particularly with Chrome/Electron apps.
>
> Also I was using unicode lookup for ² and ³ for a long time, until I discovered the AltGr+2 and 3 key combinations work for that (again, out of the box in recent Ubuntu and friends - I don't think it used to, though?).
>
> Darren

Home | Main Index | Thread Index