Re: [tlug] Looking for employment

On 2024年03月19日 10:59, the silly lain. claimed to have said:
> On 2024年03月18日 13:30, the silly David J Iannucci claimed to have said:
> > and I'm not prepared to move at this point.
>
> This might be the single biggest problem.
> In order to work in Japan, you'll need to be a resident of Japan or its
> citizen.
> And unless you're already a permanent resident (or citizen), you can't be
> physically outside of Japan and still claim residency in Japan, and thus
> no way to have employment in Japan legally.
>
> So if you want to work in Japan so much, please consider moving to
> Japan.

Just to add some oil on the fire, even if you somehow manage to get
employed in Japan without a valid residency status (which by itself is
mission impossible), it wouldn't make financially sense to do so.
Because sure, cost of living is significantly lower in Japan than in the
States these days, but so are the salaries.
At a typical Japanese tech company, you'll be earning somewhere between
200,000 yen (1,333 dollar) and 300,000 yen (1,999 dollar), the latter
being very privileaged.
The only exception is when you work for massive companies like Nintendo,
which pay you around 900,000 yen (5,999 dollar) regardless of function,
but then again, the bar of entry there is ridiculously high.

The other factor to consider is that the Japanese IT market these days
is very saturated, so even for Japan-born, Japan-raised, Japanese
university graduated Japanese people, finding employment in the tech
industry has become really hard in recent years.
Not saying it's impossible, it's just much harder than it used to be
even 5 years ago, when you could just get on a plane, receive a tourist
visa, apply at a Japanese company, and land a job immediately.

So once again, if you really want to work in Japan, I recommend you
consider moving here.
Despite the saturated market, it's still highly possible to find a job
while on your 90 day tourist visa, as long as you send around your
resume as far and wide as possible every day.
I know people, both foreigners and citizens, who landed a job within 90
days.

--
lain.

Did you know that?
90% of all emails sent on a daily basis are being sent in plain text, and it's super easy to intercept emails as they flow over the internet?
Never send passwords, tokens, personal information, or other volunerable information without proper PGP encryption!

If you're writing your emails unencrypted, please consider sending PGP encrypted emails for security reasons.
You can find my PGP public key at: https://fair.moe/lain.asc

Every good email client is able to send encrypted emails.
If yours can't, then you should consider switching to a secure email client, because yours just sucks.

My recommendations are Claws Mail or NeoMutt.
For instructions on how to encrypt your emails:
https://unixsheikh.com/tutorials/gnupg-tutorial.html