Re: [tlug] No Japanese input in a browser anymore

On Sun, Mar 03, 2024 at 09:43:40AM +0000, Stuart Luppescu wrote:
> This is pretty weird. I've been using ibus with anthy for Japanese IME
> for years without serious problems. Last month I had a stupid
> catastrophic computer failure ("stupid" because I did a really stupid
> thing). I managed to remedy it without a tremendous lot of trouble, but
> now I find I can't input Japanese in Chrome or Opera. I can get
> Japanese input in Evolution, Thunderbird and emacs, but nothing in a
> browser. Weird, yeah? Anyone have an idea of what's going on?

For what it's worth, with Firefox, and fcitx5, (though not ibus), I now
have to set my environment variable to export GTK_IMPUT_MODULE=xim, rather
than the GTK_IMPUT_MODULE=fcitx.

That being said, I avoid ibus when possible, as it's been problematic for
me with window managers (as opposed to desktop environments, where it seems
OK), for several years now. It would help to know what distribution you're
using, and what desktop or window manager.

Also, I use firefox rather than chrome, so not sure if my experiences will
be any help. In FreeBSD-14, which is my main workstation, fcitx5-anthy is
working with chrome.

I would set up a test user though, and see if said user has the same issue
to see if it's anything in your particular user's setup. Hopefully, someone
with more knowledge will give more useful answers.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6