Re: [tlug] International transfers

2022年8月30日(火) 14:08 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>:

> First, I'd like to thank everybody for their information.  Really
> useful!
>
> Ian Lawrence Barwick writes:
>
>  > FWIW I used to use my Shinsei bank
>
> This advice was worth it just for the introduction to the best
> commercial website I've seen for a native Japanese business (the
> English page doesn't seem to explain business accounts, which I may
> want in the future).
>
>  > account to receive payments from overseas. IIRC there was a ca. 2000 yen handling fee for each
>  > transaction
>
> Order of magnitude (log 2 ;-) is plenty accurate enough.

I should also note that the payments have always arrived in my Shinsei
account within a
couple of days of being sent; the sending accounts (there have been two separate
ones) were based in the UK. Also, I've only ever had to submit
supporting documentation
once for each sending account, not for each transaction, though YMMV.

Also Shinsei was taken over by SBI Group recently, not sure what if
any effect that
will have in the long term.

My main gripe with Shinsei is that they accept signatures but insist
they must identical
right down to the molecular level, so I ended up having to get a hanko
made (insert
facepalm emoji here). Though it's been a while since I actually needed
to use it.
Otherwise it's been the least painful part of my banking experience in Japan.

/me wanders away muttering about middle names and kana/romaji confusion.

> All the rest of the information is very helpful.  Pretty much narrows
> it down to either Wise or Shinsei or maybe existing Joyo account, need
> to check cost but I think it was 3500 yen (+ $25 on the BA side) last
> time I did a wire transfer.
>
> Again, thanks to all who responded!  If this works out well, I'll be
> able to actually buy a round at the next in-person meetup. ;-)

Hah, didn't notice the other thread and responses thereto.

Anyway would love to attend an in-person meetup again, preferably
somewhere well-ventilated, round of beer or not :).

Regards

Ian Barwick

Home | Main Index | Thread Index