Re: [tlug] buying a iMAC

On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 5:49 AM Deepika Ghuriani
<deepika.ghuriani@example.com> wrote:
> I was looking to buy an IMAC but unfortunately I need to wait for approx 4 weeks to get a new machine ! Since at the moment all work /studies are done from home we are short of one machine and I need one immediately to continue my studies / work (for next one month). I also gave a thought on buying a second hand machine (iMAC) but the option available in ( ソフマップ softmap akiba ) latest machine was 256 GB RAM which i think was not sufficient enough for a machine like iMAC to support heavy softwares etc . I am really surprised to see how helpless kinda situation I am getting into , am I missing something? Can anyone suggest something to me to resolve this vicious circle ...

Sounds like you're in a "helpless" situation because you're asking for
too much.  A notebook (whether it's an Mac or otherwise) is meant to
do light work.  Like a Word document in a cafe or browsing the web.
If you're using software that is much more demanding, then you're
looking at a high-end notebook.  But then you should ask yourself do
you still need the portable aspect any more.  Can't you get a desktop
instead?

You're asking for the power of a desktop, with the portability of a
notebook, and a price that is affordable.  It sounds like you're
asking for too much and that's putting you in a seemingly helpless
situation.

We'd all like to have one computer to do everything, but that's often
not possible.  I bought a Dell notebook once that was fairly high-end.
I loved it, but it was incredibly heavy.  I then decided to accept
that I needed a very light notebook to carry around and a desktop
sitting on a proper desk to actually do work at home.  Maybe that is
what you should be considering?

Ray

Home | Main Index | Thread Index