Re: [tlug] Ubuntu 20.04 (Was: Ubuntu 18.04 - changing grub parameters)

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 20:23, Schwartz, Fernando G. | @SCA
<fgs@example.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/20 4:47 AM, Jim Breen wrote:
> > Thanks for the tip. I installed it and it seems I've got pretty much
> > the Gnome Classic I wanted. Quite a lot of things had to be tweaked,
> > e.g. Mozc Japanese input, but it mostly seems to be back where I want
> > it.
>
> ... Hummm... I'd say you just probably messed with your brand new
> system...

Do you know something specific about the Mate desktop that's a problem?

> And that's precisely why things "suddenly" stop working as
> expected... It's like you're the computer manufacturer here... Don't go
> " apt-get install " at will...

I don't, except when I'm in experimenting mode, which is where I am
now. I haven't moved my work to this system yet, and I can fairly
rapidly switch back to vanilla 20.04 if needs be. I won't be moving
things for a while yet.

> Have you seen " sudo apt install gnome-shell-extensions "?
>
> Take a look:
> https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2019/06/enable-gnome-classic-mode-ubuntu

Yep. Installed it last week. My issue with it, which I mentioned in an
earlier email, is that it seems to have lost the ability to put
launchers in the bar at the top of the screen, which to me are an
important ease-of-use feature of Gnome Classic.

> > I'd wait for a bit. I had to move to it for up-to-date graphics
> > drivers but I prefer to let things settle. It's like buying a car -
> > never get a model in its first year of production.
>
> I disagree. Go ahead with confidence. (isn't like Volkswagen trying a
> new all-electric lineup...)

Confidence and brand new software systems have a fair bit of space
between them for me. I've been around too long.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University