Re: [tlug] GW projects

On 4/5/20 2:55 am, Raymond Wan wrote:
On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 1:35 AM Benjamin Kowarsch <trijezdci@example.com> wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 21:45, Raymond Wan <rwan.kyoto@example.com> wrote:

On 2/5/2020 2:30 pm, Curt J. Sampson wrote:
On 2020-05-02 13:41 +0900 (Sat), Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Raymond Wan writes:
Regarding masks, here's my current undersanding of them:

...[masks] made out of cloth which are pretty much as effective (as
long as nobody literally sneezes in your face)...

Wearing a mask like that is hardly more effective at stopping you from
getting infected when people aren't sneezing directly in your face
than when they are. But those non-N95 masks are highly effective on a
societal level: they greatly reduce the chance that _you_ will infect
someone else.
Your understanding is wrong then >
Though you weren't replying to me, I have to say starting off your
reply with that sentence is a bit harsh and unnecessary (IMHO).

Masks are effective in reducing the R value, that is the rate at which
an infected person infects other people before they are taken out of
circulation (either by being quarantined or hospitalised).
You are not wearing the mask to protect yourself.

You are not even necessarily protecting people you meet.

But you are protecting everybody by contributing to lowering the R value.

That's the whole deal about those masks.

So please, wear one whenever you leave the house.

Because, after all, you're both arguing in support of the same thing.
Whether we're talking about lowering the R value from the point of
view of epidemiology or how masks works intuitively...

I think a more interesting point is their effectiveness when the
supply is limited.  I presume some western countries aren't willing to
admit that there isn't enough.  Perhaps if they did that, both sides
of the argument can agree on something.  (i.e., masks are useful, but
there aren't enough because we weren't prepared)  As far as I know, I
don't think any country has admitted that?

I think this is the real issue people were ignoring early on when many were recommending not wearing masks. The problem is how to communicate that only people who are at high risk should be using the limited supply of high quality masks. Unfortunately this turned into a stupid binary argument about whether masks were good or bad.

Given that limiting community transmission is the only way we will keep hospitals open, If you are not wearing a mask because you can't buy them, both of the below[1][2] work. I ended up sewing a mask because its more comfortable. There are also people selling similar masks.

Edward

1. https://blog.japanesecreations.com/no-sew-face-mask-with-handkerchief-and-hair-tie
2. https://www.craftpassion.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/